Thursday, October 4, 2012

Fascinated

We have just posted some new patterns at our Etsy store store. We have added a group of four fascinators from the 1940's that are knit or crocheted. When Alison showed me the patterns, I almost fell over with excitement - and an intense desire to make them. I thought they were headscarves, but the pattern calls them fascinators.

Bonham Fascinator
Winton Fascinator
Saybrook Fascinator
Ardmore Scarf
 
By definition, a fascinator is:
1) a woman's lightweight head scarf usually of crochet or lace (m-w.com online dictionary)

2) The word originally referred to a fine, lacy head covering akin to a shawl and made from wool or lace, but mostly feathers. In the modern usage, it refers to a woman's alternative to a hat for formal attire.  (Wikipedia)

I had to run to the store and buy some yarn as soon as I had the patterns in my hand. I found a black glimmer yarn (Lion Brand Vanna's Glamour Yarn in Onyx.) for the Bonham Fascinator. This yarn is looking so shimmery and beautiful as I getting going on the project. 

The yarns called for in the patterns are no longer available. Based on what I found online, it looks like the Columbia Zephyrdown was a sport weight yarn. The modern equivalent is a #2 (US) weight yarn. 

No comments:

Post a Comment