Friday, July 18, 2014

The Garden Party Hat - Adventures in Crochet


Check out our new hat...

I started this hat several years ago, when we first started our store. The hat was so pretty and lacy, I just wanted to make it. I was still fairly new to crochet at that point. I had taken a class (which had resulted in me pinching a nerve in my neck from sitting stock still for long periods of time). I was a tense crocheter.  Not exactly what I was hoping for when I re-learned crochet.

I decided that size 3 crochet cotton was going to be my challenge for the Garden Party Hat project. It wasn't exactly smooth sailing. I was used to working with worsted weight yarn so it seemed like I was never getting anywhere when I spent time crocheting the hat. I set the hat down and it sat in its project bag for 2+ years.


When I found the hat, I had completed most of the single crochets of the crown. The experience I had under my belt along with a change in my mindset made this a completely different project to work on.   Not everything has to be made at lightening quick speed, and progress happens whether its big or small amounts. I really like size 3 crochet cotton these days. 

The pattern calls for millinery wire. We found ours on Etsy. I did a little research on the wire size that we needed and decided to go with size 19 wire. I didn't want that hat brim collapsing from the weight while it is being worn. There are two rows of millinery wire in the brim of the hat. The first bit of wire is about 1.5 inches from where the brim meets the crown. The second bit of wire is 2 rows from the edge.

 There is a separate lace chain that is made and then added at the base of the crown. I could not figure out how to make the lace chain so it came out looking even and nice. Finally, I had to contact my friend who figured out the pattern and made a really nice looking lace chain. Thanks Debbie! If you have any questions regarding the chain, let us know and I will check with Debbie on how she made it. Really, you could find any sort of lacy bit and make it to fit around the hat.

The 1930s Garden Party or Wedding Hat pattern is available in our Etsy store.

Happy Crocheting!


No comments:

Post a Comment